Agrivert and Amey among 2017 Awards for Excellence winners
Organic waste firm Agrivert was named the recycling business of the year at the Awards for Excellence in Recycling and Waste Management at London’s Landmark Hotel on the 18th May.
Twelve awards were presented at the event which was hosted by Welsh broadcaster and TV personality Gethin Jones, with Zero Waste Scotland’s Iain Gulland delivering the keynote address.
Agrivert won the recycling business of the year award, after having completed construction of two anaerobic digestion facilities in the last twelve months. And, R Collard was crowned waste transfer and skip hire business of the year.
The collection crew champions were Nicolae Ivan and Robert Campbell of Amey and City of London Cleansing Services, while Dimitra Rappou, Waste Prevention Manager for North London Waste Authority, was named ‘local authority recycling champion’.
West Sussex-based mobile phone and printer cartridge recycler, BCMY, took the top spot for circular economy success, while Liverpool Women’s Hospital and Sharpsmart UK were judged to have the best waste management initiative in the commercial and public sector.
Community Repaint and West Sussex Waste Partnership received awards for their respective recycling initiatives.
The Greatmoor Energy from Waste Facility, operated by FCC Environment was also recognised for innovation in design.
Canary Wharf Management was named retail recycling champion for its “Making Sustainability Real” campaign. And Coronation Street, ITV Studios clinched the zero waste platinum award.
John Woodruff, principal consultant on resource efficiency and waste management at Ricardo, and a member of the judging panel said: “The quality of the entries was extremely high, and as always, it was heartening to see the range of initiatives and developments which are taking place across a wide spectrum of sectors.
“The judging process was extremely difficult, and whilst the finalists represent genuine excellence, all the entries demonstrated ambition, endeavour and an understanding of good resource management’.
The full list of finalists for the 2017 Awards for Excellence is:
Zero Waste Platinum: Sponsored by Helistrat and WasteCare
- Coronation Street, ITV Studios (winner)
- Geary’s Bakery in partnership with PH Hull & Sons
- The Meadows Shopping Centre. Chelmsford
- Melton Foods in partnership with Veris Strategies
Retail Recycling Champion: Sponsored by Smart Solutions
- Canary Wharf Management: Making Sustainability Real (winner)
- Co-op: Recycling For the Future
- Marston’s in partnership with UKWSL
Circular Economy Success: Sponsored by DHL
- BCMY (winner)
- Community Wood Recycling
- The Papercup Recovery and Recycling Group
- re3 – A Clean Sweep
Waste Management Initiative in the Commercial and Public Sector: Sponsored by Egbert Taylor Group
- Liverpool Women’s Hospital and Sharpsmart UK (winner)
- Gunwharf Quays Premium Retail Outlet
- Kings Place, London
- Samworth Brothers: 4R Plan
Innovation in Design of a Waste Management Facility: Sponsored by Environmental Services Association
- Greatmoor Energy from Waste Facility (winner)
- Agrivert: North London AD Facility
- FCC Environment: Learning in Lincolnshire
- States of Jersey: The LA Collette Household Reuse & Recycling Centre
The Best Community Recycling Initiative: Sponsored by Powerday
- Community Repaint: Reusing Paint to Colour the Community (winner)
- Community Wood Recycling
- Reach Homes: Affordable Eco-homes
- USEL (Ulster Supported Employment and Learning) and Belfast City Council Mattress Recycling Partnership
Recycling Business of the Year: Sponsored by Ceris Burns International
- Agrivert (winner)
- R Collard
Waste Transfer and Skip Business of the Year: Sponsored by Turmec
- R Collard (winner)
- Derwen Recycling
- Keltbray Environmental
- Orion Support Services
Collection Crew of the Year: Sponsored by UKWSL
- Amey and City of London Cleansing Services: Walbrook Wharf (winner)
- AnyJunk – ‘Load and Go’ Collection Crew
- Kier Environmental and Cheshire West and Chester Council Collection Crews
- LAMH Recycle Collection Crew
Civic Amenity Site of the Year: Sponsored by REPIC
- Foxhall Household Waste Recycling Centre, Suffolk (winner)
- New Years Green Lane Household Waste Recycling Centre. Hillingdon
- re3 Recycling Centre, Reading
- South Tyne & Wear Waste Management Partnership
The Best Local Authority Recycling Initiative: Sponsored by Hadfield
- West Sussex Waste Partnership: Homes of Multiple Occupancy Recycling Improvement Project (winner)
- Bolton Council: Introduction of Slim Bins
- Bristol Waste Company: Stapleton Road Project
- North Hertfordshire District Council in partnership with North Hertfordshire Homes: Reducing Flats Recycling Contamination
Local Authority Recycling Champion: Sponsored by Biffa
- Dimitra Rappou, North London Waste Authority (winner)
- Jim Cohen, London Borough of Bromley
- Jon Hastings, London Borough of Newham
- Neil Maver, Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council
For the original article, please visit: Let’s Recycle – 2017 Awards for Excellence winners